As a recovering Worrier, you move out of learned helplessness and into the world. You employ the Strength compass point of your Self Compass, in rhythm with your Weakness compass point. In so doing, you relate more effectively with people, bringing a much needed virtue to those interactions: empathy for human pain.
|Virtue of Empathy|
It’s not that the times of feeling lonely disappear. It’s more that when they come, you do something to alleviate them.
- You actually get yourself to a new church group you’ve been thinking about checking out.
- You stop yourself from disappearing the moment the Bible study is over.
- You discipline yourself to stay at least five minutes and engage in some sort of conversation.
- You’re good at listening and getting better at talking.
- Even though it’s scary, you’re learning to stay with a feeling and express it, rather than avoid it.
- Now daring to express needs and wants, you do it in a humble manner, sensitive to the other person’s point of view.
Mobilizing your Strength and Assertion compass points brings a depth dimension to the events of your day that before had seemed flat and dreary.
You develop rhythmic access to all four compass points, yet since you favor the Weakness compass point, you are in the enviable position to readily own that you don’t have all the answers, and that you need God’s help in handling everyday life.
This is how redeemed Worriers reveal their growth in actual behavior when they access the LAWS of the Self Compass. And the virtue of empathy bears fruit:
Worrier—virtue of empathy.
- Isn’t demanding or competitive.
- Sensitive rapport with others.
- Has a high frustration tolerance.
- Not motivated by status or material gain.
- Is especially tender toward children, animals, and those who suffer.
With the infusion of compass virtues, the locus of the self has changed. No longer is it fragmented, imbalanced, stuck on one or more of the compass points. Instead, your personality is now grounded in a balanced, God-oriented center that holds.
Instead of predictably patterned behavior, the Self Compass now offers you 360 degrees of choice to use as appropriate for any given situation. Now you are freed to express yourself through your own individual style in Christ. Precious in his eyes, there is no one else like you, because “the very hairs of your head are all numbered” (Mt 10:30 NKJV).
For more, read: